Friday, August 26, 2011

Basil Blackberry Crumble



I brought this to a family potluck. Those with strong sweet-tooths found it odd, but those who tended to more adult, less-sugary, desserts found it compelling. Definitely, what I brought to the gathering had too much balsamic vinegar in it -- I have recommended cutting the amount in half (as is reflected below). I also think I might re-make the dish with a higher quality balsamic than I had used. 

All in all, a very interesting dish with a unique set of flavors.

Basil Blackberry Crumble
Barbara Kingsolver - A Year in Food

Filling:
2-3 apples, chopped
2 pints blackberries
1 T balsamic vinegar (the original recipe calls for 2 T; I would reduce)
1 handful basil, chopped
1/4 c honey, or more, depending on berries

Topping:
5 T flour
3 T brown sugar
1 stick butter, cold

Preheat oven to 400. Combine the filling ingredients in an ovenproof casserole dish. Mix and set aside. 




































Cut butter into flour and sugar. Then, rub with your fingers to make a chunky, crumbly mixture. Sprinkle over the top of the fruit. Bake 30 minutes, until golden and bubbly.


Farm Box Ingredients Used: basil

1 comment:

Holly Tompkins said...

I would add oats and sliced almonds to the topping but that's my favorite kind of topping for a crisp.

Would be fun to play with mixing in different berries. The apples certainly were a nice addition. Yum!