Skip to main content

Szechuan Green Beans and Soba

This made a delightful lunch on a hot day! Paired with a sliced tomato salad, we were fortified for the rest of the afternoon. This noodle dish is a trifecta -- a snap to make, good for you, and looks impressive to your guests.

Szechuan Green Beans and Soba
Three Bowls

12 oz soba
1 T + 1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp canola oil
1 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3-4 T tamari sauce
2 T sesame seeds, toasted (opt)


Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook soba until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Place noodles in a large bowl and set aside.

Heat both oils in a large skillet over medium heat. Add green beans and saute 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 2 minutes longer. Immediately pour green bean mixture over soba noodles, scraping the skillet well to get all the oil into the bowl.

Toss soba and green bean mixture until beans are distributed and soba is coated with oil. If serving immediately, add tamari and toss again. Place in a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds, if using.

This dish can also be made several hours ahead of time and served at room temperature. If serving later (or, if you anticipate leftovers), do not add tamari until just before serving.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable Quinoa Bake

  Vegetable Quinoa Bake The Global Vegetarian 1 T canola oil 1 yellow onion, chopped 8-10 button mushrooms, sliced 1 green bell pepper (or red), seeded and diced 1 jalapeno , seeded and minced 1 zucchini, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 3 c water 1 1/2 c quinoa, rinsed and drained 2 c butternut squash, peeled and diced 1 c carrot, peeled and diced 1 c kale, spinch or escarole, chopped 1 1/2 T parsley, dried 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Preheat oven to 400. In large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion, mushroom, pepper, jalapeno zucchini and garlic and saute 5-7 minutes. Stir in water, quinoa, squash, carrots, kale and seasonings and bring to a boil. Transfer mixture to a 9x13" casserole dish and cover. Bake 30-40 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven. Fluff with fork. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Summary thoughts: I found this dish to be overall a bit bland at first. In the future, I m...

Curried Chicken Soup

      I made this soup so often in the 1990s, but frankly had forgotten about it.   Flipping through this cookbook, I found this recipe and was flooded with memories. When I was in grad school, this soup was my "feeling decadent" food and reminded me of something people might eat after hitting the slopes -- a thing I have never done. A few decades long, and with a lot more experience with cooking, I realize that this is basically a chicken curry with a thin sauce and the rice already in the meal -- but don't let that in any way discourage you! It's delicious as is and is a wonderful take on what is otherwise chicken and rice soup. I have become a fan of using rotisserie chickens, especially during the pandemic. They are so cheap, and I can use the meat in a soup like this on the day-of grocery shopping, and, crunch the bones down for the freezer for making stock in the future. Of course, this soup can be made with a fresh chicken, but I have modified the recipe bel...

Tortellini with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

I've been making this dish for guests for years. This is, sadly, part two of the dinner-with-no-photographs. I'm sure I'll be making this again soon, at which point I'll update this post with pics. Tortellini with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce The Silver Palate Cookbook 1 1.2 c dry white vermouth 2 1/4 c heavy cream pepper pinch freshly ground nutmeg 2 T salt 1 1/2 lb tortellini 1/2 lb Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (do not skimp on quality) 1 1/2 T Parmesan, grated Bring vermouth to a boil in a small heavy saucepan and reduce by half. Add heavy cream. Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Season to taste with pepper and nutmeg. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until reduced by one-third. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook tortellini until tender. Drain pasta and return to warm pot. Remove cream sauce from the heat. Stir in the cheeses. Pour sauce over the tortellini. Set over medium heat and cook gently, stirring constantly, for 5-8 minutes, o...